Contraception - The Pill
1. Modern birth control pills
are MUCH milder versions of their predecessors with few or none
of the early reported side effects - don't let another woman's
horror story keep you from trying the Pill if you are sexually
2. Taking the Pill is a personal choice, it
is about sexual responsibility NOT sexual availability - taking
the Pill does not mean you are a "slut", "sleaze",
"easy" or "wanting it".
3. The risks involved in taking the Pill are NO GREATER than
the risks associated with pregnancy and child birth, and there
are very real benefits in taking the Pill.
4. Ortho-Tricyclene, one of the many birth
control pills available, is also approved as an acne medication
with success in controlling moderate to high, hormonally influenced
5. If you smoke, the risks associated with taking the Pill
are increased - a good reason NOT to smoke!
6. Although it is less common, it is still possible to get
pregnant within 1 month of going off the Pill.
7. Despite advice you may have heard you DO NOT need to take
a break from the Pill.
8. When used CORRECTLY the Pill is 95% - 99% effective.
9. When used INCORRECTLY the Pill is TOTALLY ineffective.
10. The Pill can NOT protect you against ANY
STD's or HIV/AIDS.
Staying On Schedule
If You Forget
Myths & Truths