is one of the main ways that teens begin to start earning their
own money. Here are some tips and tricks of the trade that can
help you as you start your own babysitting business.
Characteristics of a Good Babysitter
Parents look for certain qualities in a good babysitter. Some
of these qualities include:
1) Having good health: Your overall health
is important. If you have a cold or other contagious disease,
do not accept a babysitting job.
2) Being dependable & responsible: Dependability
is a must. You are responsible for the child's health and safety.
3) Loving little children: The best babysitters
usually understand and love children. Children tend to know whether
you like them or not.
4) Being self-confident: Children judge you as
much by the way you look and act as by the words you say. Be sure
5) Being mature: You need to be levelheaded and
act calmly in an emergency. You have to maintain authority and
6) Showing good manners: Be pleasant, and act
in a courteous manner. This includes respect for the privacy of
families by not going through closets and personal possessions.
7) Being knowledgeable about children: You need
a basic understanding of the stages of child development. You
must also know the basic techniques of feeding, dressing, diapering,
bathing and playing with younger and older children.
8) Having a business-like attitude: Make sure
you agree on the business aspects of the job before babysitting
with a new family for the first time. Get the necessary information
from the parents before they leave.
9) Being adaptable: Accept the differences between
households. It's your responsibility to fit in with the family's
usual pattern or routines - not the other way around. If you feel
uncomfortable with the family's lifestyle, you may need to refuse
to accept the opportunity to work for them.
10) Being safety conscious: Protect the children
from harm. Be alert at all times.
11) You will be in demand: Great babysitters
are known by many parents. Usually they are busy with repeated
jobs for the same families.