Disciplining Your Teen
How can you best discipline
a strong willed teenager? The following
are a few parent-tested guidelines.
1. Give clear messages about household rules
and limitations. Let them know what behavior is acceptable and
2. Accent the positive. "Do's" make
a stronger impression than "Don'ts".
3. Give your teen increasing responsibilities
for his choices and actions. Don't dilute the effectiveness of
rules by having too many, or erode your teen's sense of self-confidence
by denying him the right to make some of his own decisions.
4. Be consistent and united. Agree as parents
on the rules and stick together.
5. Take the anger out of discipline. Punishment
is a way of releasing anger. Disciplining means teaching your
teen the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behavior.
6. Criticize the behavior, not the child.
7. Realize that discipline is a life-long gift
of love. It will help your teen to achieve, to get along with
others and to grow in his/her capacity to have mature and intimate
Rules & Limits
Sex & Relationships
Sex & Knowledge
Talking About Birth
Talking About HIV &
Talking About Self-Image
Talking About Puberty
Drugs & Pre-teens