Your Responsibilities& Your First Month
As a parent you have two major responsibilities. They
1. to support your child by providing him or
her with the necessities of life; and
2. to supervise and control your child.
The necessities of life are more
than just food, shelter, and clothing. They also include medical
care, an education, and legal help when required. NOTE:
Your failure to provide the necessities of life for your child
may lead to your criminal prosecution for neglect.
Parenting your child - What to expect along the way!
The First Month:
The first month with your newborn baby is going to be a lot of
fun. Here's what you can expect:
1. A lot of sneezing and hiccupping. This is
2. Mottling of the skin when the clothes are
removed - also normal.
3. Mucus accumulating in the corners of the eye
and in the nose. This should be wiped away very carefully.
4. Cradle cap of the scalp - the yellowish scalp
crusting seen during the first month and easy to cure with baby
oil, a fine tooth comb and a shampoo.
5. Frequent startling and crying, along with
noisy and irregular breathing.
6. Light sleeping, easily awakened, and very
few sleeping through.
7. Cheesing or spitting up after almost every
8. A diaper that is almost continually wet, and
so diaper rash is a problem.
9. The ability to hear right from birth and to
be able to see bright lights and big objects with poor focusing.
Coping With Fatigue
Play: A Child's Work
Article - Dr. Stephen